Aging Disgracefully

On getting older and not being particularly happy about it. A pitiful attempt to pass on to the next generation pearls of wisdom on getting older, the humor of aging, fitness, recreation, friends, family and pets. How to survive changing technology, mental and phyiscal deterioration and hair loss.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Is it trust, stupidity or Memorex? Only her hairdresser knows for sure!

Some people say that we get wiser as we get older. These people also said, the Titanic was unsinkable, a team from Cleveland will someday win a championship and that George W. Bush would make a great president. They chronically get it wrong. I know, I am their leader. My point here is, people actually do NOT get smarter as they get older, they don't learn from their mistakes nor do they mellow with age. In fact, a person's crankiness ratio is directly proportionate to their proximity to the grim reaper. Can you blame them?
As to the first point on wisdom increasing hit me like a ton of bricks the other day when Sandy, she's my wife, was eating something or other that had been in the fridge since the Kennedy administration. I'm not sure whether this is a gender based thing or not, I doubt it. Anyway, Sandy took a sniff of the mysterious substance, crinkled her nose and tasted about three molecules of the stuff.
"This stuff tastes like dog caca!" (She didn't really say caca, but this may be a family blog, don't laugh, it could happen.) Anyway after she said "This stuff tastes like dog caca!" She pushed it toward me and followed up with "You taste it and tell me what you think." Now, I can tell you that at an earlier age I might have responded as my kids would respond. Gales of laughter followed by gasps for breath and an immediate phone call to all their friends to say "Guess what my moron parent just said..." If we were in fact, intelligent older adults we would in fact respond the same way.
But as we get older common sense goes out the window. I didn't stop to ask myself "How can my wife be an expert on the taste of dog caca?" No, I responded the way anyone else that his been married since the Ice Age would. "Sure, I'll try it," I said.
Now how stupid is that, but I know that anyone over 50 faced with a similar situation has done the same thing. Melanie and Dustin may be convinced it can't happen to them, but as I mentioned in a previous post "the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree." We are genetically doomed to become blithering idiots. By the way, the cliche' is supposed to be "the APPLE doesn't fall far from the tree" but as with all things these days, those things get a tad fuzzy.
Gotta run now, I'm feeling a bit peckish.

Love
Dad

1 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two obviously don't follow the "one week" rule: if it's older than one week, you throw it out. I follow that rule; however, my husband (who shall remain anonymous) does not. Once it's 2+ days a leftover ("Once, twice, two plus days a leftover, and I won't taste you." Hmm! Could be a song there.) he is highly suspicious of the contents. I find this highly unusual as I thought men would eat anything. Obviously, you fit that profile. ("Let's get Bob to try it; he'll eat anything. Hey, Bobby! He likes it!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home