Aging Disgracefully

On getting older and not being particularly happy about it. A pitiful attempt to pass on to the next generation pearls of wisdom on getting older, the humor of aging, fitness, recreation, friends, family and pets. How to survive changing technology, mental and phyiscal deterioration and hair loss.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It's a dog's life...

No doubt about it, I am a sucker for dogs. Cats too. Horses, cows, come to think of it, I am pretty much at the mercy of the entire animal kingdom. This is why I am not allowed to go to the dog pound, humane society, or republican fundraisers. Animals must have some kind of communications system which far surpasses anything AT&T could put together. Come to think of it, a couple of tin cans and string surpasses anything AT&T could put together, but that may be a topic for another day. We babysat my sister's dog this past holiday weekend while she visited the rest of our relatives from the hills of Virginia. Talk about a topic for another day...
We have our own dog and we take turns caring for each others dogs whenever we go on any overnight trip, which is easy on the pocketbook, and great for our dogs. They like staying in kennels as much as I like watching Nancy Grace (just curious, but does she give anyone else an industrial strength case of the creeps, or is it just me?).
Ginger, that's our dog, and Elvis, my sister's dog, get along great. But Ginger tells Elvis and any other dog she comes into contact with, either with telepathy of very expressive dog pee, that I am the one in this house that is the soft touch. Same thing with my daughter's dogs. She has two rescue dogs, and whenever I visit, you'd think I was the bacon man. I'm sure that this vicious rumor about my being easy comes from Ginger. She has just been using me for people food for years.
My sister and my daughter both swear that "WE NEVER FEED OUR DOG(S) TABLE SCRAPS". However, let me even think about going to the fridge for anything and those dogs beat me there, promptly plant themselves at my feet with big doe eyes and a look that says "Oh please, please, please give me a bite of whatever you have. I know it could be aardvark droppings, but if you're eating it, I must have some or I will surely die! Oh please, please, please, please, PRETTY PLEASE!"
Of course, I always give in and then hear the following from the owners. "How come my dog always begs when he (she) comes home from your place?" And I always swear that Sandy was the one feeding them junk food. Somehow, they always know I'm lying.
Actually the dogs have foolishly tried to beg snacks from Sandy but she ruthlessly wolfs down every bite and then gleefully shows the dogs her empty plate or hand, and cackles "All gone." This is exactly what she used to do to me when I would beg for conubibal relations, if you get my drift. The dogs learned much quicker than I that big eyes, a sorrowful look and pitiful whimpering gets you no where with Sandy.
I am not sure that I have any real advice for the kids on this topic, unless it is don't let your pets get the upper hand, and don't, whatever you do, let my dog chat with any spiders.
Awww, look at those cute 8 eyes. Isn't it sweet?

Love
Dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home