Aging Disgracefully

On getting older and not being particularly happy about it. A pitiful attempt to pass on to the next generation pearls of wisdom on getting older, the humor of aging, fitness, recreation, friends, family and pets. How to survive changing technology, mental and phyiscal deterioration and hair loss.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

When Sandy reads this "Bob's days are numbered!"

Holy crap, (homage to the late Mr. Boyle) has it been two months since my last entry? Bet everyone was hoping they'd heard the last from me. No such luck, folks. Every once in a while something happens to stir my juices. And I get "happy fingers". In a nice way, I mean. I just gotta type!
Just such an incident happened this morning when I read an opinion peace decrying and analyzing the cliche "at the end of one's rope." The person writing the article blanched at its use in describing attitudes toward Iraq. Anyway, I then read where the president of Iran, "unpronounceablename somethingorother... ajad" was quoted as saying "Israel's days are numbered."
Reading this "end of one's rope" opinion made me think about how many people throw around the phrase "so and so's days are numbered". It seems to me that whenever the phrase is used no one seems to know how many days there actually are in the "numbered".
I for one, am tired of this rampant mathmatical vagueness, as I require order and definity in my life. Stop telling me someone or something's days are numbered when you don't know how many days there are. Everyone and everythings days are numbered in some way or another. Except maybe God's. Or so I am told.
I might even tolerate a reasonable estimate in some cases. Like, "the democrat's days of ruling Congress are numbered at 730 give or take." But don't use the phrase to predict the unknowable or undoable. We all know that whenever someone uses the phrase that the speaker has virtually no idea of how many days are actually in the numbering. Or that whatever or whomever's numbered days are almost infinite. As in "the days of an Israeli-Arab conflict are numbered," or "the days of incompetence, partisanship and corruption in government are numbered."
While the tempation to use such hackneyed cliches is great, I know I for one, often would like to say "Rose's days of going nano seconds without making a cell phone call are numbered" or Cathy's days of mistaking me for a floating buoy are numbered." Then there's my favorite "the days of Bob and Sandy NOT having connubial relations are numbered." I could go on forever but I think you get the picture. Merciful, eh?
Anyway, I say "let's all get together and push for an end to the casual use of such phrases and urge the return to literalness that made this country great." There I've said it, I'm glad I said it, and if they let me go, I'll say it again.
By the way, the days of any Cleveland sports team NOT winning a major championship are numbered." So are the days of me NOT boring you with this blog.

Love
Dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home